Sunday, February 3, 2013

Will Smith's secrets to success


"The only thing that I see that is distinctly different about me is I'm not afraid to die on a treadmill. I will not be out-worked, period. You might have more talent than me, you might be smarter than me, you might be sexier than me, you might be all of those things you got it on me in nine categories. But if we get on the treadmill together, there's two things: You're getting off first, or I'm going to die. It's really that simple, right?"

- Will Smith

I have seen this Will Smith's quote from a few places before.  And the other day I accidentally discovered Smith making the quoted remarks on YouTube.  It starts 2:36 into the video below:






I am starting to appreciate all the efforts that take to create something great.  In order to make something great, I not only have to believe that it's possible but also work like hell to make it happen at every single opportunity.  I have to be prepared to go extra miles to execute and practice to get better at doing it.

It's a simple logic to rationalize.  But for me who grew up on this false sense that some people are more intelligent than the others hence they are more likely to succeed, it has been a difficult thing to really embrace and internalize.

From many stories that I have heard over the years, I can see one theme on becoming successful.  That is, success has very little to do with intelligence.  It's mostly about hard work and spending countless hours and days practicing to improve your skills.  I now appreciate the power of practice and skills.

In order to get better you have to practice.  Getting better is the only way to increase the chance of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment