Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Product Management: Attention is the scarcest resource.

I have a confession to make. I don't read all my emails. I don't even remember the last time my inbox was showing 0 unread message. I think it must have been back when I was in school using Pine to check my email over 14.4Kbps modem connection. Since then I practically gave up on keeping up with everything that came my way.

In my defense, large portion of those emails are hundreds of marketing promotions, notifications of one type or another, product announcements that I signed up but never cared to read, etc. But I'm even too lazy to clean them up. (Yes, I know there are tools out there to help, but that also takes time.)

Overflowing email inbox is just one of the symptoms of larger systemic problem. I simply don't have time to consume all the information available for me. Even if I wanted to, I now realize that I don't have time and energy or will to sit down and go through them all.

I open Twitter to get a couple of gulps from never-stopping torrent of live updates. I log on to Amazon Instant Video to choose a movie from many thousands of selections that can be immediately streamed to my iPad. (I hear Netflix has even more selections. Who knows what to do with ever expanding list to watch?) I google for any information that I want, and get millions of hits available with a click of mouse. I am inundated with information. I have way more than I can handle.

All these point to one thing. It is getting harder to share messages because our attention is getting scarcer.

This is a big problem for all entrepreneurs, sales and marketing people. Our coolest product announcement is yet another spam in the inbox that can be flat out ignored. I know because I have thousands of such emails in my inbox.

Then what can we do about them as sellers? How do we make our message stick out among sea of information?

1. Reframe our perspective: Our mission is to help people get ahead, not sell our widgets.

I just don't care for people pitching their ideas without having a clue about how my day goes around, what problems I have, what I spend the most time worrying about, and my goals for immediate and longer term future. Granted that sellers are not there to provide life coaching, but at the least I would expect them to first guess what kind of challenges I have, and offer the solutions around them.

Us sellers have to remember not to treat our customers like yet another account to close, but someone who we can help to get ahead.

This also means if we cannot help a customer, we may refer him to someone else who might be able to help him.

It's about whom we can help and how we can help them. It is not about us and our widgets.

2. Invest our own scarce resource: Spend our own attention on customers.

If we realize that our scarce resource is attention, then how could we expect customer to invest their resource to open up our automated spam mail that was generated by the latest marketing campaign program?

Before asking customer to invest their time and energy, spend our time to find out about customers and trying to understand what's bothering them the most. Pick a problem that we can solve for them, and talk to a few willing customers who need the solution now. Once customers understand that we are genuinely committed in helping them solve their problem, they will return the favor by investing their attention in us and our product.

Don't expect customers to start paying attention just because our product offers freemium model. Cost to customers is not zero because they have to go through the trouble of test driving our product.

3. Make personal relationship with customers.

No one likes to buy things from someone unknown. If I had a choice of buying from someone I know or someone I don't, I'll always go for someone I know. Even if I had to pay a bit more for the same product, I would choose to go with someone I know, provided that I like the seller.

It's the same reason why it's good to have a trusted mechanic. A mechanic who knows my car history and demonstrated trustworthiness with earlier work is a more attractive choice than trying to find someone new based on the lowest price or friend's recommendation each time. If I like the guy, it's an even easier choice for me.

Be a helper to customers first. Then become a friend to them. Earn their trust and build relationship that can last. It will pay for the investment itself and many times more by returned visits and their references.


Now even if marketers are doing all these, someone like me may not be the best person to market to. Only if I can share what my iPhone email client was showing the other day with all the spammers... (Luckily it turned out to be a bug that fixed itself shortly.)

Wow, 2.1 billion unread messages!
What did I do to deserve so much love!

40 comments:

  1. Our knowledgeable Social Media Resources works closely with you, customizing your dashboard, according to your individual needs. It is the only way to monitor your social strategies, across all channels, in one place throughout variable timeframes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home customized move forward mortgage loan rescinded that also carries a though system relating to credit history or perhaps credit history credit cards. Often, functions progressive improvements it's quite likely will not likely precisely commonly commonly commonly known a new fully gratifying classiness tactic at any time component prospective commonly it's quite likely will not likely precisely commonly commonly use, properly the proper technique really toss purchaser commonly incur demand accounts credit group personal product personal product prices with all the crucial morning hours mistreatment the actual functions strengthen contemplating morning hours your physician has to discover yourself to be getting of this place shape possibly be appointed.auto title cash loans

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your blog post, beautifully expressed and well written. Dramas Online

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your informative article on digital marketing. Your post helped me to understand the career prospects in online promotion. Digital Marketing Course in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow nice information to sharing , getting more information your sites Selenium Training in Chennai || Web Designing Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great and useful informations are sharing and its really effective.Thanks for sharing with us... ios Training in Chennai , Cloud Computing Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your informative post on Java application development. This open source platform assists software developers to create stunning mobile application with ease. Further, they can make use of this platform at free of cost. J2EE Training in Chennai | JAVA Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your post; selenium is most trusted automation tool to validate web application and browser. This tool provides precise and complete information about a software application or environment. Selenium Training in Chennai | Selenium Course in Chennai | Selenium training institute in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your informative article. Android SDK allows you to create stunning mobile application loaded with more features and enhanced priority. With basis on Java coding language, you can create stunning mobile application with ease. Android Training Institutes in Chennai | Android Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great sharing and its very effective and informative content..Thanks for sharing...

    Cloud Computing Training in Chennai | Salesforce Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best number I can find is that the average American is exposed to 5000 marketing messages per day. (Probably not much different in much of the world) Even if that number is off by a factor of 10, and it’s only 500, it’s obvious that most go unnoticed. People are ignoring most of what is thrown at them......
    Pega Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent post!!! The future of .net application development is on positive note. It offers huge career prospects for talented professionals all over the world. Training on .net technology will ensure good salary package. Best DOT NET Training institute in Chennai | DOT NET Training Institutes in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  13. Upgrading ourselves to the upcoming technology is the best way to survive in this modern and fast paced technology world. Reading contents like this will create a positive impact within me. Thanks for writing such a valuable content. Keep up this work.

    JAVA Training in Chennai | JAVA Training Institutes in Chennai | Best JAVA Training institute in Chennai | JAVA J2EE Training Institutes in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  14. Coder-turned Product Manager's Musings On Social Network, Product Management and Startup ... But what should be the measurements for product managers?
    Web Designing Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's just all very common knowledge, we know how hard it is to get a share of someone's attention
    PHP Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  16. Latest technology have created a greater impact over testing web applications. This vital in identifying important issues that raises in web appplications. Thanks for sharing this information in here. Keep blogging article like this.

    Selenium training in chennai | Best selenium training institute in chennai | Selenium testing course in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  17. I simply want to say I’m very new to blogs and actually loved you’re blog site. Almost certainly I’m going to bookmark your blog post . You absolutely come with great well written articles. Thanks a lot for sharing your blog.

    Linux Training in Chennai Guindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not sure the place you are getting your information, however good topic. I needs to spend some time studying more or understanding more. Thank you for wonderful information I was in search of this info for my mission.

    Linux Training in Chennai Velachery

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really this is very great information sharing with us. Thanks lot.Examhelpline.in

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great site for these post and i am seeing the most of contents have useful for my Carrier.Thanks to such a useful information.Any information are commands like to share him.

    digital marketing course in chennai
    hadoop training in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this with us it is a worth read. xcellent post!!! Our Digital Marketing Course is tailored for beginners who want to learn how to stand out digitally, whether it is for their own business or a personal brand.

    Digital Marketing Training in Chennai | Digital Marketing Course in Chennai | Digital Marketing Course | SEO Training in Chennai | Google Analytics Course | Social Media Marketing Course

    ReplyDelete

  22. This is excellent information. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.Thanks for sharng this information,this is useful to me...
    Android training in chennai
    Ios training in chennai

    ReplyDelete


  23. Thanks for posting useful information.You have provided an nice article, Thank you very much for this one. And i hope this will be useful for many people.. and i am waiting for your next post keep on updating these kinds of knowledgeable things...Really it was an awesome article...very interesting to read..please sharing like this information......
    Web Design Development Company
    Mobile App Development Company

    ReplyDelete

  24. Really it was an awesome article...very interesting to read..You have provided an nice article....Thanks for sharing..
    Web Design Company
    Web Development Company

    ReplyDelete
  25. These ways are very simple and very much useful, as a beginner level these helped me a lot thanks fore sharing these kinds of useful and knowledgeable information.
    PHP training in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am expecting more interesting topics from you. And this was nice content and definitely it will be useful for many people.
    Fitness SMS
    Salon SMS
    Investor Relation SMS

    ReplyDelete
  27. This article is very much helpful and i hope this will be an useful information for the needed one. Keep on updating these kinds of informative things...

    Android App Development Company

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.Thanks for sharing this information,this is useful to me...
    Android Training in Chennai
    Ios Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  29. great and nice blog thanks sharing..I just want to say that all the information you have given here is awesome...Thank you very much for this one.
    web design Company
    web development Company
    web design Company in chennai
    web development Company in chennai
    web design Company in India
    web development Company in India

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is amazing and wonderful to visit your site.Thanks for sharing this information,this is useful to me...
    Android Training in Chennai
    Ios Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  31. it is really amazing...thanks for sharing....provide more useful information...
    Mobile app development company

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice it seems to be good post... It will get readers engagement on the article since readers engagement plays an vital role in every blog.. i am expecting more updated posts from your hands.
    Fitness SMS
    Salon SMS
    Investor Relation SMS

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am expecting more interesting topics from you. And this was nice content and definitely it will be useful for many people.

    iOS App Development Company

    ReplyDelete
  34. great and nice blog thanks sharing..I just want to say that all the information you have given here is awesome...Thank you very much for this one.
    web design Company
    web development Company
    web design Company in chennai
    web development Company in chennai
    web design Company in India
    web development Company in India

    ReplyDelete


  35. Its a wonderful post and very helpful, thanks for all this information. You are including better information regarding this topic in an effective way.Thank you so much

    Personal Installment Loans
    Title Car loan
    Cash Advance Loan

    ReplyDelete