Friday, June 8, 2012

What does it take to be 'cool'?

That was the question that I started to ask myself.  Often we see something and we immediately think that it's cool.  What makes something cool?

I don't think I have an answer.  But maybe I can narrow it down by showing you a couple of cool things that I saw this week:



1. Eulerian Video Magnification

Think of amplifying video signal instead of audio signal.  It's cool because it is demonstrating something unexpected and not obvious.  Also it's applicable to many problems.






2. On{X}

It is a quick programming tool that allows non-programmer to program their mobile phone.  Think of ifttt for your mobile phone.  It's cool because it lowers the bar in programming mobile phone and enables everyone to create their custom mobile app.






So maybe I mean element of surprise, something that's not obvious and applicability in solving real life problem when I say 'cool'.

Anything that you saw 'cool' this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment